So many of my clients are telling me they are in a funk.
Sitting between winter and spring, ready to warm the bones and see the sun again can start to change our mindset.
Welcome to what I call Tunnel Time.
Tunnel Time is when we hunker down, underground….waiting for the end of the darkness….aka: “in a funk.”
Often in Tunnel Time we get stuck in traffic jams, drive in only one lane and can start feeling anxious and frustrated and ready to get the hell out.
By the time we actually make it to the light at the end of the tunnel we have to spend our time in recovery from the tunnel rather than enjoying the fresh air and sunshine.
You may find yourself having to:
- Catch up on lost sales in your business.
- Revamp your workout to lose the extra 5 pounds you gained in the tunnel.
- Work extra hours or cut back on expenses to pay off shopping sprees.
Playing catch up and having to recover isn’t where we want to spend our time, right?
The other day I heard Barbara Fredrickson speak about her research that she has written about in her book, Love 2.0: How Our Supreme Emotion Affects Everything We Feel, Think, Do, and Become. She had so many interesting and scientifically proven things to say. One thing that really stuck in my head and inspired me to write today is something that her colleague, Steve Cole, said.
What you feel today will effect you at a cellular level for the next 3 months.
Wowa! 3 months from now is summer! We want to feel great! 3 months from now may be when you’re planning to reach a milestone in your business! 3 months from now may be when you’re planning to be at your ideal weight!
Who wants the funk we feel today to effect us 3 months from now!?!
What to do?…..
Change our mindset from Tunnel Time to Pre-Vacation-Time!
You’re mindset is already changing….I can feel it.
Pre-Vacation-Time is that uplifting and exciting time of anticipation, planning, and preparation that happens before you go on your dream vacation. It’s the time that you allow yourself to be excited while also getting the things done that need to be done before you leave.
The great thing about Pre-Vacation-Time is that things don’t bother us as much such as working a few extra hours at work to put systems in place for things to run smoothly while you are away, adding extra workouts into your schedule to feel great in your vacation clothes (or no clothes!), cutting back on expenses to save up for your trip. It can even mean staying focused on your health and wellness so that you aren’t sick when you reach your destination.
Are you feeling the mind-shift, yet?
Grab your journal, a sheet of paper, or your iPhone and make a few notes so you don’t forget….mind-shifts often need a little help in the beginning.
I’m going to give you a few helpful tips to get you out of your funk and start ensuring your future success at a cellular level.
1. First, write down 1 to 2 things you are working towards in the next 3 to 6 months along with the exact date you plan to arrive at your destination. This could be expanding your business with a new employee, reaching a financial milestone in your business, having a baby, or losing the weight you’ve wanted to lose for years.
2. Just as if you are planning for a vacation, right down every little detail that you want to do to prepare for it. Keep this light hearted. After-all your destination comes from what you’re passionate about.
3. Check off each detail on your list as you “pack” them. Add things as you think of them just as you would for a vacation.
4. Stay connected with your Pre-Vacation-Prep notes keeping your destination in mind. You may even want to place them like a beautiful brochure on your desk.
5. Enjoy yourself along the way! Ensuring your success at a cellular level!
When you reach your destination (and I know you will) take the time to enjoy all that it took to make it happen.
It won’t be long before you plan another vacation to look forward to!